Visual Symbols

 

Taino Woman
3.5” x 3”
Air Dry Clay & Inks




Detail:

Reflection Statement
The ceramic sculpture "Taíno Woman" was inspired by the indigenous people of my home island, the Taínos.  I wanted to focus on the Taíno sun symbol because it is a symbol that I grew up seeing a lot and it means a lot to me and my culture. I decided to not include detailed facial features in order to show how the Taíno culture is slowly being forgotten by the newer generation. I felt the work was not producing the results I wanted, I felt it was looking too plain, so I decided to add line details to the hair. I want to keep exploring and creating art pieces centered around my culture. I want to learn more about how to work with clay and techniques to make it easier. This piece allowed me to explore. The making of this work exposed new ideas such as incorporating symbols and icons into my work.

In Process:




Strength & Femininity 
4” x 3.5”
Air Dry Clay, Inks, Toothpicks




Details:


Reflection Statement
The clay bust sculpture entitled "Women and Strength" was inspired by many different femininity and strength symbols. I wanted to focus mainly on the symbols, especially the flower because women don't have just one way of looking. I felt the work was lacking and looking too plain so I decided to add a color to each of the symbols of the sculpture. I want to keep exploring the themes of femininity and strength and what those things mean to me and how I can keep demonstrating them in my art. Just like with the other clay bust, I want to learn more about how to work with clay and techniques to make it easier.
Symbols:
Lotus flower: beauty, femininity
Venus symbol: womanhood, femininity 
Moon phases: fertility, womanhood
Elephant: femininity, wisdom, motherhood 
Nu Chinese symbol: womanhood, perseverance 
Triskelion: strong will, courage
Flower: femininity
Cat: fertility, femininity 
Taíno turtle: fertility, mother earth 
Heart: affection, love

In Process:















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Natural History of the Senses Research

A Few of My Favorite Things